SHAWANO, Wis. - Severe storms packing winds estimated at 90 to 100 mph damaged residential property, downed power lines and toppled trees, including one which fatally injured a motorist in Menominee County.
Emergency management officials say a woman was killed in Keshena Wednesday night when a tree fell on her vehicle.
Authorities say about a dozen homes in the Bonduel area of Shawano County sustained damage. A lightning strike caused a fire at a nursing home forcing the evacuation of approximately 13 residents. They were taken to a sister facility.
The National Weather Service says most of the damage in Shawano County was caused by straight-line winds.
More than 20,000 utility customers lost power in the storms. By Thursday, crews had restored service to all but about 1,000 customers.
- UW-Madison chosen to test autonomous vehicles
- Woman pinned in van after crash with ambulance on Hwy. 12
- Increase in garage burglaries reported in Sun Prairie
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child in Wis. arrested in NY
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter