VERONA, Wis. - A 93-year-old woman was found dead outside a Verona assisted living facility Friday, according to the Verona Police Department.
Police said they were called to Four Winds Lodge at 309 Schweitzer Rd. at 8:10 a.m. by an employee. Police said they believe the woman walked outside the building on her own sometime during the night and succumbed to the elements.
Dane County Medical Examiner's Office identified the victim as Edna S. Biederman.
Biederman's body was found a short distance from the door and police said it was not clear if she fell and could not get up.
Verona police said they're working with staff to determine a timeline of when Biederman was last seen alive.
The Dane County Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy Monday and preliminary results indicate that Biederman's death is accidental. She died from hypothermia due to exposure to the cold temperatures, according to the Dane County Medical Examiner's Office.
Police, consulting with the Dane County District Attorney's Office, said the case doesn't appear to be criminal.
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services is also investigating.19269362
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River
- 4 juveniles suspected of damaging maliboxes in rural Portage, Pardeeville areas
- 2 on moped injured in downtown Madison crash, officials say
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Ag secretary to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers