VERONA, Wis. - A 93-year-old woman was found dead outside a Verona assisted living facility Friday, according to the Verona Police Department.
Police said they were called to Four Winds Lodge at 309 Schweitzer Rd. at 8:10 a.m. by an employee. Police said they believe the woman walked outside the building on her own sometime during the night and succumbed to the elements.
Dane County Medical Examiner's Office identified the victim as Edna S. Biederman.
Biederman's body was found a short distance from the door and police said it was not clear if she fell and could not get up.
Verona police said they're working with staff to determine a timeline of when Biederman was last seen alive.
The Dane County Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy Monday and preliminary results indicate that Biederman's death is accidental. She died from hypothermia due to exposure to the cold temperatures, according to the Dane County Medical Examiner's Office.
Police, consulting with the Dane County District Attorney's Office, said the case doesn't appear to be criminal.
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services is also investigating.19269362
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire