MADISON, Wis. - A 19-year-old woman used an umbrella to fight off a strong-armed robber on the University of Wisconsin campus Monday night.
The woman told police the robber approached her and asked for directions. She said she gave the man directions and he left. A short time later, at about 10:50 p.m., the man ran up behind her on Engineering Drive and tried to take her bag.
She told police that after striking the man with her umbrella she ran toward University Avenue.
The robber is described as black, college-aged, with a medium build and wearing a black hooded sweatshirt with the hood up.
Anyone with information is asked to call UW police at 608-264-2677.
- Girl awarded for homeless birthday program
- Woman jumps from balcony to escape fire
- Video captures man stuffing puppies into drain
- Baldwin, other senators seek assurances from Trump pick for EPA
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison