MENOMONIE, Wis. - Authorities in Wisconsin's Dunn County said a Minnesota woman and her young daughter are lucky to be alive after the woman fell asleep at the wheel and drove onto an icy river.
WCCO-TV in Minneapolis reported the 21-year-old woman from Elko, Minn., was driving west on Interstate 94 early Sunday when authorities said she fell asleep. She woke to find her vehicle in the median just before a river crossing.
Her car then went over an embankment and down onto the ice, where it became partially submerged in the water.
The woman was able to get herself and her 23-month-old daughter out of the car.
Authorities had to close the interstate briefly early Sunday to get the car out of the river.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say