MENOMONIE, Wis. - Authorities in Wisconsin's Dunn County said a Minnesota woman and her young daughter are lucky to be alive after the woman fell asleep at the wheel and drove onto an icy river.
WCCO-TV in Minneapolis reported the 21-year-old woman from Elko, Minn., was driving west on Interstate 94 early Sunday when authorities said she fell asleep. She woke to find her vehicle in the median just before a river crossing.
Her car then went over an embankment and down onto the ice, where it became partially submerged in the water.
The woman was able to get herself and her 23-month-old daughter out of the car.
Authorities had to close the interstate briefly early Sunday to get the car out of the river.
- Dane County plans to buy land to make Capital City State Trail safer
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Hilldale Mall launches redevelopment of south side
- State unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Expect traffic delays in downtown Madison for Women's March Saturday
- Police arrest suspected heroin dealers, seize 3 guns, $28K cash