MENOMONIE, Wis. - Authorities in Wisconsin's Dunn County said a Minnesota woman and her young daughter are lucky to be alive after the woman fell asleep at the wheel and drove onto an icy river.
WCCO-TV in Minneapolis reported the 21-year-old woman from Elko, Minn., was driving west on Interstate 94 early Sunday when authorities said she fell asleep. She woke to find her vehicle in the median just before a river crossing.
Her car then went over an embankment and down onto the ice, where it became partially submerged in the water.
The woman was able to get herself and her 23-month-old daughter out of the car.
Authorities had to close the interstate briefly early Sunday to get the car out of the river.
- State manufacturing tax credit continues to grow
- Man scammed out of $4,300 by person claiming to be grandson
- Man stabs girlfriend in neck with scissors, police say
- Fremont woman accused in boyfriend's fatal stabbing is acquitted
- East Towne Mall employee attacked, robbed
- Woman arrested, suspected of abducting her kids