MADISON, Wis. - Madison police said they arrested a woman on forgery charges following an investigation of a home burglary on Madison's south side.
Police said a burglary investigation began when someone stole a checkbook from an 86-year-old woman's home in the 600 block of Pine Street in April.
The victim had gone to her church to help serve a meal on the morning of April 15, and while she was out, a burglar cut a screen and broke into her home, according to a Madison Police Department incident report.
Police said they arrested Charyln R. Taliaferro, 49, of Madison, who is accused of writing checks to herself -- from the victim's checkbook -- and cashing them at a bank.
Police said Taliaferro was in possession of a crack pipe at the time of her arrest Wednesday night in the 700 block of West Badger Road.
Taliaferro was arrested on five counts of forgery and a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Stoughton man critical after rollover crash
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- One injured after stabbing in Madison
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Missing Marathon County man found safe
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'