EAU CLAIRE, Wis. - One Wisconsin teen will have a dream date for his junior prom.
Eighteen-year-old Charlie Gainey is taking Miss Minnesota USA Danielle Hooper to the Menomonie High School prom on Saturday.
The date was arranged by a mutual friend after Gainey was nominated for his school's prom court. He has Down syndrome, and Hooper has a 2-year-old cousin with Down syndrome. Hooper said going to the prom with Gainey is a wonderful opportunity to make people happy.
Gainey told the Leader-Telegram that it doesn't matter if he is elected prom king. He will have a good day because he is competing in a Special Olympics swim meet earlier Saturday and then will have dinner with Hooper and attend the prom.
Hooper competes in the Miss USA pageant in June.
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crash involving ambulance closes U.S. Highway 12
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal