EAU CLAIRE, Wis. - One Wisconsin teen will have a dream date for his junior prom.
Eighteen-year-old Charlie Gainey is taking Miss Minnesota USA Danielle Hooper to the Menomonie High School prom on Saturday.
The date was arranged by a mutual friend after Gainey was nominated for his school's prom court. He has Down syndrome, and Hooper has a 2-year-old cousin with Down syndrome. Hooper said going to the prom with Gainey is a wonderful opportunity to make people happy.
Gainey told the Leader-Telegram that it doesn't matter if he is elected prom king. He will have a good day because he is competing in a Special Olympics swim meet earlier Saturday and then will have dinner with Hooper and attend the prom.
Hooper competes in the Miss USA pageant in June.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire