MADISON, Wis. - Recall elections in Wisconsin this year were high profile, but they were far from the only ones.
Recall expert Joshua Spivak tracks recall elections as a senior fellow at Wagner College in New York. He said in 2012 at least 168 officials faced recall elections in 20 states and Washington, D.C., up from at least 151 in 2011.
The recalls against Gov. Scott Walker and Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch were the only ones where officials elected statewide were targeted.
Of the 168 officials nationwide targeted for recall, 82 lost and another 26 resigned before the election could take place. Both Walker and Kleefisch survived.
Spivak said his research isn't all-inclusive and there may have been recalls he missed.
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Stoughton man faces felony 7th OWI
- Highway 151 closed near Blue Mounds due to semi vs. car crash
- Police, medical examiner respond to suspicious death
- Construction continues on Capitol Square; new traffic pattern starts May 1