APPLETON, Wis. - A 26-year-old Wisconsin woman is charged in the asphyxiation death of her infant daughter last year.
Twenty-six-year-old Keshia Waupoose was charged Friday in Outagamie County with second-degree reckless homicide.
Police say Waupoose was arrested Friday in the death of her 3-month-old daughter. USA Today Network-Wisconsin reports police said the arrest was delayed at the request of the district attorney's office.
Appleton police were called early on Aug. 27, 2015, on a report of a baby who was not breathing. First responders were unable to revive the girl, and she was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police say the mother became intoxicated the night before, and ended up lying on the baby in the same "makeshift bed" overnight. The child died of "asphyxia due to overlay."
Waupoose remains in jail.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry