TOWN OF LIBERTY, Wis. - Authorities are investigating the cause of a dairy barn fire that killed 120 cattle in eastern Wisconsin.
Valders Fire Chief Dan Esser told the Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter about 10 to 15 cows died in the blaze itself early Friday. While the rest of the animals, including heifers, got out of the barn, he says they had to be euthanized for smoke inhalation that may have occurred over the course of several hours.
He said there was extensive damage to the barn with a partial collapse that made it tough to get the cattle out.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls