WAVERLY, Iowa - A Wisconsin couple is donating $2 million to a northeast Iowa college to endow a faculty position in the school's religion and philosophy department.
The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier reports Mike and Marge McCoy, of Ellison Bay, Wis., made the donation to Wartburg College in Waverly.
The college announced the donation Wednesday, saying it was the largest non-estate gift by an individual donor or couple that Wartburg has ever received.
The gift will fund the Mike and Marge McCoy Family Distinguished Chair in Lutheran Heritage and Mission.
Officials say the money will help the college deepen its roots in the Lutheran spiritual and intellectual tradition.
The McCoys are parents of two Wartburg graduates.
The college of about 1,750 students is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets