MADISON, Wis. - A Republican running to unseat Democratic U.S. Rep. Ron Kind said he is backing out of the race so voters can line up behind a single challenger.
Chris Anderson, a former aide to U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, announced Wednesday he would no longer run for western Wisconsin's 3rd Congressional District. Anderson said he will endorse Republican Tony Kurtz in the race because Kurtz supports conservative ideas.
Kurtz said he has hired Anderson to work as finance director for his campaign.
Three Republicans remain in the race for the seat Kind has occupied since 1997. Kind's office didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.
- Officer who shot Tony Robinson will not return to patrol this year, chief says
- Birkebeiner cross country ski race canceled due to warm weather, rain
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Ringleader in counterfeit cash case gets 2 years in prison
- Additional construction to start on Capitol Square next week
- Would-be robbers apologize after Milwaukee woman rebuffs crime