MADISON, Wis. - Informal surveys suggest that Wisconsinites can plan a July 4th picnic with all the standard goodies for less than $6 per person.
The surveys were conducted by the Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation. The group uses volunteer shoppers in 28 communities who buy the same foods and compare prices.
This year's meal came out to $5.59 per person in Wisconsin. The meal includes hot dogs, cheeseburgers and pork spare ribs, along with all the fixings. It also includes potato salad, baked beans, watermelon, lemonade and chocolate milk.
The American Farm Bureau Federation did a similar survey in 22 states. In those regions the average cost was a little higher, at $5.72 per person.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture says Americans spend about 10 percent of their disposable annual income on food.
- Glass packaging flaw prompts beer recall
- Winter weather could slow Wednesday commute
- $1M lottery ticket sold in Madison expires soon
- Men to be without safe, sober home with no live-in manager
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Multiple reports of gunshots heard in Madison Sunday night