The Grant County Sheriff's Department is giving out 500 free firearm safety kits.
It is working with the nationwide firearms safety education program called Project Child Safe.
Sheriff Nate Dreckman says the goal is to prevent a child or unauthorized person from accessing a gun.
The safety kits include a gun lock and are being distributed at the department in Lancaster.
The program, developed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, has distributed more than 35 million firearm safety kits throughout the country since 2003.
- Shirtless female toddler on splash pad sparks debate
- Teacher confesses to sex with student in classroom
- Madison police find bullet in apartment on Russett Road
- Madison police investigate shots fired, crash
- Madison police investigating armed robbery at Oakcrest Tavern
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam