The Grant County Sheriff's Department is giving out 500 free firearm safety kits.
It is working with the nationwide firearms safety education program called Project Child Safe.
Sheriff Nate Dreckman says the goal is to prevent a child or unauthorized person from accessing a gun.
The safety kits include a gun lock and are being distributed at the department in Lancaster.
The program, developed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, has distributed more than 35 million firearm safety kits throughout the country since 2003.
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program
- East side Walgreens robbed at gunpoint Sunday
- New emergency equipment aids obese patients in Wisconsin