The Grant County Sheriff's Department is giving out 500 free firearm safety kits.
It is working with the nationwide firearms safety education program called Project Child Safe.
Sheriff Nate Dreckman says the goal is to prevent a child or unauthorized person from accessing a gun.
The safety kits include a gun lock and are being distributed at the department in Lancaster.
The program, developed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, has distributed more than 35 million firearm safety kits throughout the country since 2003.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike
- Robbery suspect arrested after stealing purse containing $1