The Grant County Sheriff's Department is giving out 500 free firearm safety kits.
It is working with the nationwide firearms safety education program called Project Child Safe.
Sheriff Nate Dreckman says the goal is to prevent a child or unauthorized person from accessing a gun.
The safety kits include a gun lock and are being distributed at the department in Lancaster.
The program, developed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, has distributed more than 35 million firearm safety kits throughout the country since 2003.
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement
- Uncertainty creates challenges for growth in manufacturing