MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee's police chief is defending one of his officers after the officer was seen on surveillance tape waiting for a man to withdraw money from an ATM and then walking away with the cash.
Chief Edward Flynn says the officer was mediating a dispute between a drunken U.S. Marine and a taxi driver whose window the Marine smashed.
Flynn told reporters Monday the driver didn't want to press charges as long as he was reimbursed $300. The chief says the officer just facilitated the transaction, and all parties were satisfied with the outcome.
Flynn criticized WTMJ-TV for airing a clip of the surveillance video to tease an "explosive" story Monday evening. He called it an irresponsible bid to drive ratings.
WTMJ did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program
- East side Walgreens robbed at gunpoint Sunday