WASHBURN, Wis. - A Wisconsin Marine who died in Vietnam will be buried off Lake Superior this weekend, almost 46 years to the day he was killed in a helicopter crash.
Lance Cpl. Merlin R. Allen of Bayfield was 20 years old when his helicopter was trying to land in hostile territory in Vietnam. As the aircraft approached the landing zone it was hit by enemy fire, causing the helicopter to ignite and crash-land.
Allen was one of five people who were killed. His remains weren't immediately recoverable, but a joint U.S. and Vietnamese team excavated the crash site last year and found the remains.
He'll be buried in Washburn on Saturday, one day before the 46th anniversary of his death.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says