BARABOO, Wis. - A large Wisconsin dairy cooperative plans to close a cheese plant, idle another plant indefinitely and lay off more than 100 employees.
Baraboo-based Foremost Farms is closing an Alma Center plant that makes mozzarella cheese for food-service markets. The co-op is idling a cheddar cheese plant in Waumandee.
The Journal Sentinel reports 52 jobs will be lost when the Alma Center plant closes June 30. About 50 employees will be indefinitely laid off when the Waumandee plant is idled June 30.
Foremost says it's consolidating production from the two plants at its other plants in Appleton, Richland Center, Milan and Marshfield.
Foremost President Dave Fuhrmann says even though the co-op is reducing its plant and employee numbers, it is not downsizing the volume of cheese produced by the co-op.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls