Authorities in central Wisconsin say a man accidentally shot and critically injured his 25-year-old son while the father was clearing his weapon at a rifle range.
Deputies said the shooting happened Saturday about 3 p.m. at the Wood County Rifle and Pistol Range.
Investigators said 53-year-old Stephen Sammartino was clearing his weapon when it accidentally went off, hitting Joseph Sammartino in the back. The son was airlifted to a hospital, where he was in critical condition.
Deputies said they're treating the case as an accident but they're continuing to investigate.
- Dane County plans to buy land to make Capital City State Trail safer
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Hilldale Mall launches redevelopment of south side
- State unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Expect traffic delays in downtown Madison for Women's March Saturday
- Police arrest suspected heroin dealers, seize 3 guns, $28K cash