Authorities in central Wisconsin say a man accidentally shot and critically injured his 25-year-old son while the father was clearing his weapon at a rifle range.
Deputies said the shooting happened Saturday about 3 p.m. at the Wood County Rifle and Pistol Range.
Investigators said 53-year-old Stephen Sammartino was clearing his weapon when it accidentally went off, hitting Joseph Sammartino in the back. The son was airlifted to a hospital, where he was in critical condition.
Deputies said they're treating the case as an accident but they're continuing to investigate.
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart