LA CROSSE, Wis. - If cold weather has you starting your car early to get it warmed up in La Crosse, there's a chance you could be ticketed.
La Crosse has an ordinance against leaving an unattended vehicle running.
It only applies to vehicles on the street or in other public places.
The fine is $114.
Police say the ordinance is in place to protect people.
"Especially this time of the year, when it's cold. They want to go out and warm their vehicles up and what they do is leave their keys in the vehicle," says Lieutenant Patrick Hogan of the La Crosse Police Department. "Vehicle's unlocked, then it's easy for someone to come along that maybe didn't have intentions of stealing a vehicle, and they see it and see that it's an easy ride home."
Police say using an electric starter is okay, because keys aren't left in vehicles that way.18211066
- All Iowa County roads reported as ice covered, hazardous
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need