SILVER CLIFF, Wis. - A man is recovering from injuries suffered when he was attacked by a black bear in Marinette County.
Gerre Ninnemann's wife, Marie, came to the rescue as the bear bit him and clawed his back outside a cabin in Silver Cliff Wednesday. Ninnemann first spotted the bear going after his dog. Sheriff's officials say the bear then went after Ninnemann and attacked while his wife grabbed a shotgun and some shells. Marie Ninnemann hit the bear over the head with the gun because she didn't know how to load the shells.
The bear let her husband go and they both retreated to the cabin. The couple called the sheriff's department as the bear continued to circle the cabin. WLUK-TV reported a sheriff's deputy arrived and fatally shot the bear as it approached him.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says