SILVER CLIFF, Wis. - A man is recovering from injuries suffered when he was attacked by a black bear in Marinette County.
Gerre Ninnemann's wife, Marie, came to the rescue as the bear bit him and clawed his back outside a cabin in Silver Cliff Wednesday. Ninnemann first spotted the bear going after his dog. Sheriff's officials say the bear then went after Ninnemann and attacked while his wife grabbed a shotgun and some shells. Marie Ninnemann hit the bear over the head with the gun because she didn't know how to load the shells.
The bear let her husband go and they both retreated to the cabin. The couple called the sheriff's department as the bear continued to circle the cabin. WLUK-TV reported a sheriff's deputy arrived and fatally shot the bear as it approached him.
- Man, woman caught selling stolen bike on Craigslist, police say
- Evers has $117,000 in bank for superintendent run
- Police: Teens try to open Madison girl's car door, flash gun at her
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Suspected drunken driver hits car in oncoming lane, police say
- Teens say armed man asked them to get in car, police say