ELKHORN, Wis. - Authorities said a Whitewater man died in a single-vehicle, single-occupant crash this weekend.
The Walworth County Sheriff's Office said on Sunday at about 5:42 a.m., deputies responded to a report of a vehicle that had gone off the road on Highway 20 near Zimmerman Road in the town of Troy.
Deputies and other first responders found 65-year-old Richard F. Eckert of Whitewater dead in his 2000 Ford Taurus. Capt. Scott McClory said investigators believed the accident may have happened about an hour before deputies were alerted to it.
The sheriff's office said Eckert was traveling eastbound on Highway 20 negotiating a curve when his car struck the guardrail on the west side of the highway. That sent his car across the road several hundred feet, where it struck a tree. The vehicle sustained substantial damage, according to the sheriff's office.
McClory said there was no obvious evidence at the scene to lead investigators to believe alcohol was a factor in the crash. He said there was fog in the area Sunday evening, which may have been a factor but the cause of the accident was undetermined Monday morning.
An autopsy is scheduled to determine the cause of death and could be finished as early as Tuesday, McClory said.
- Sheriff: Man driving 30 mph over speed limit was drunk
- Stoughton woman faces 5th OWI charge
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Town of Janesville man faces 6th OWI
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000