MADISON, Wis. - Gov. Scott Walker has declared Wednesday as Snowplow Driver Appreciation Day in Wisconsin.
The proclamation highlights the important role snowplow operators play in keeping people and commerce moving throughout the winter, officials said.
"At the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, we have a nationally-unique and highly-valued partnership with county highway departments across the state who do an outstanding job keeping state roadways clear of snow and ice," WisDOT Secretary Mark Gottlieb said in the release. "County and municipal plow operators work long hours under difficult conditions. As drivers, we need to do our part by giving them room to work and staying off roads when severe winter weather makes travel treacherous."
- Uniforms coming to Milwaukee schools
- Messy weather closes schools in southern Wisconsin
- Possible homicide charges for teen driver after man killed in crash
- Man credits Mental Health First Aid for saving co-worker's life
- Adams County woman missing 10 days found safe
- Attorney: Robinson settlement a calculated decision by city's insurer