MADISON, Wis. - Gov. Scott Walker has declared Wednesday as Snowplow Driver Appreciation Day in Wisconsin.
The proclamation highlights the important role snowplow operators play in keeping people and commerce moving throughout the winter, officials said.
"At the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, we have a nationally-unique and highly-valued partnership with county highway departments across the state who do an outstanding job keeping state roadways clear of snow and ice," WisDOT Secretary Mark Gottlieb said in the release. "County and municipal plow operators work long hours under difficult conditions. As drivers, we need to do our part by giving them room to work and staying off roads when severe winter weather makes travel treacherous."
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says
- Man pulls gun during road rage incident, police say