WAUWATOSA, Wis. - Law enforcement officials are investigating the death of a suburban Milwaukee police officer.
Wauwatosa Lt. Gerald Witkowski said the officer does not appear to have died from natural causes.
He said a dispatcher tried to reach the patrol officer around 3 a.m. Monday but was unsuccessful. He says the officer was found dead around 5 a.m.
He didn't know if they were searching for a suspect, but he did say residents' safety risk appears to be low.
The state department of justice's criminal investigation unit is investigating. Witkowski couldn't say if it was homicide investigation.
Witkowski described the situation as fluid. He says the death is "not a believable thing" and the department has "a lot of heavy hearts."
He said officials were notifying family and others Monday morning.
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn
- WIAA board approves concussion insurance for student athletes
- Complaint: 14-year-old's father finds sexual assault suspect in closet