WAUWATOSA, Wis. - Law enforcement officials are investigating the death of a suburban Milwaukee police officer.
Wauwatosa Lt. Gerald Witkowski said the officer does not appear to have died from natural causes.
He said a dispatcher tried to reach the patrol officer around 3 a.m. Monday but was unsuccessful. He says the officer was found dead around 5 a.m.
He didn't know if they were searching for a suspect, but he did say residents' safety risk appears to be low.
The state department of justice's criminal investigation unit is investigating. Witkowski couldn't say if it was homicide investigation.
Witkowski described the situation as fluid. He says the death is "not a believable thing" and the department has "a lot of heavy hearts."
He said officials were notifying family and others Monday morning.
- UWM instructor hopes students can find solution to lead problem
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash
- Assembly Republicans plan to add $300 million for roads
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration