MOSINEE, Wis. - Wausau Paper Corp. said it plans to close its mill in Brainerd, Minn., putting 130 employees out of work.
Wausau said Thursday the shutdown will happen early in the second quarter of 2013.
The Mosinee-based company announced last month that it was putting the Brainerd mill -- and mills in Mosinee and Rhinelander -- up for sale. Those three mills make paper used for packaging, linings and masking tape.
In November, Wausau announced plans to end production of print paper at its Brainerd mill. The company planned to focus on its tissue business.
But Wausau said it became clear the Brainerd mill "will not contribute to those alternatives" and that the closing will "significantly improve" operating results in its paper segment.
Last year, Wausau closed its oldest mill in Brokaw.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls