JANESVILLE, Wis. - The Rock County Sheriff's Office is warning residents about a group that might be illegally harvesting trees from private property.
A town of Magnolia landowner called deputies in April 17 to report loggers who were on his property without permission. He said the loggers claimed they mistakenly entered his property as they were harvesting trees for a neighboring landowner. He said walnut and oak trees were cut down.
Deputies said other landowners in the town of Magnolia reported similar incidents and a high market price for felled trees might be behind the incidents.
The sheriff's office said a form from the Rock County Clerk's Office must be filled out to legally harvest trees in Rock County.
Anyone with information related to illegal tree harvesting as asked to call the Rock County Sheriff's Office.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend