PORTAGE, Wis. - A 72-year-old man wanted for violating the terms of his probation was captured by deputies after a high speed chase, according to the Columbia County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies said the man was considered armed and dangerous and believed he might have been armed.
A suspect vehicle was spotted Monday at 3:07 p.m. in Poynette, the vehicle pulled into a driveway and the deputy saw the man with a weapon before he got back into his vehicle and fled, according to deputies.
Deputies said they were able to end the high speed pursuit, but a patrol car collided with the man's vehicle and both vehicles had to be towed.
Deputies said they found a handgun and ammunition.
The man was taken to a mental health facility for evaluation. Reports were sent to the Columbia County District Attorney to consider charges.
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs