MADISON, Wis. - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has submitted a letter in support of the proposed Keystone XL oil pipeline between Canada and refineries along the Gulf Coast of Texas.
Walker submitted the letter on Monday to Secretary of State John Kerry urging that the project be approved.
The proposed pipeline is at the center of a political battle. A coalition of environmentalists, Native Americans and some landowners are fighting the project. Oil companies, some labor unions and the Canadian government are pushing for project approval.
Walker says expanding the pipeline would have an "enormously positive economic impact" for the entire country, including in Wisconsin.
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets