MADISON, Wis. - The young Waukesha girl who was attacked by her classmates and left to die in the woods received a special honor Wednesday.
Gov. Scott Walker issued a proclamation deeming it Purple Hearts for Healing Day.
The girl's favorite color is purple, and she has been sent thousands of purple hearts since the May attack.
She will be back in school Sept. 2, but her family said their main focus is her safety.
"We're working very closely with the school and the school district, Waukesha County police, as well as the District Attorney's Office, so that'll all be covered," said Steve Lyons, the family's spokesperson.
Her two 12-year-old classmates remain in custody for the attack.
- Uniforms coming to Milwaukee schools
- Messy weather closes schools in southern Wisconsin
- Possible homicide charges for teen driver after man killed in crash
- Man credits Mental Health First Aid for saving co-worker's life
- Adams County woman missing 10 days found safe
- Attorney: Robinson settlement a calculated decision by city's insurer