MADISON, Wis. - The young Waukesha girl who was attacked by her classmates and left to die in the woods received a special honor Wednesday.
Gov. Scott Walker issued a proclamation deeming it Purple Hearts for Healing Day.
The girl's favorite color is purple, and she has been sent thousands of purple hearts since the May attack.
She will be back in school Sept. 2, but her family said their main focus is her safety.
"We're working very closely with the school and the school district, Waukesha County police, as well as the District Attorney's Office, so that'll all be covered," said Steve Lyons, the family's spokesperson.
Her two 12-year-old classmates remain in custody for the attack.
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash