BROWN DEER, Wis. - The Village of Brown Deer said an independent investigator will review how police handled domestic violence incidents involving a man who later fatally shot his wife and two other women at a suburban spa.
Village Manager Russell Van Gompel said Friday the village has hired Wisconsin law enforcement instructor Robert Willis to review the police department's interactions with Radcliffe Haughton.
Haughton opened fire on Oct. 21 at the Brookfield spa where his wife, Zina Haughton, worked before killing himself.
Some Wisconsin lawmakers had accused the Brown Deer Police Department of allowing Haughton to elude accountability in his past run-ins with the agency.
In a statement, the police department says it welcomes the review and will cooperate fully.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says