TOWN OF FOUNTAIN PRAIRIE - Two medical helicopters and a crash reconstruction team were on site Sunday night following a fatal wreck in rural Columbia County.
The accident happened at approximately 4:20 p.m. on Hwy. 16 near Seier Road between Columbus and Rio.
Investigators said a van and a car collided, sending the car into a ditch.
The coroner pronounced Jerome Renz, 36, dead at scene. He had been driving the car.
Medflight flew his two passengers to UW Hospital, while the van's driver and its two passengers went to Columbus Community Hospital.
The Columbia County Sheriff's Office is holding back the names of those involved and their conditions tonight.
Sheriff's deputies are still investigating, but they believe that neither speed nor alcohol were factors in the crash.
- Milwaukee coroner: Skull found on vacant land is decades old
- Kenosha man faces re-trial in 1990 murder of woman, 18
- More than 100 people to lose jobs when distributor closes in Watertown
- Real-looking starter pistol held to man's head in planned robbery, police say
- PD: Suspected drunken driver goes for officer's gun, injures 2 officers
- Deputies: Couple caught stealing coats may be connected to other thefts