MADISON, Wis. - Veterans groups want the state Legislature to undo proposed limits on a popular property tax credit for disabled veterans and their spouses.
Gov. Scott Walker's spokesman Tom Evenson called on the Republican-controlled Legislature to "fix the issue," but lawmakers behind the change were not budging.
Limits on the tax credit program were placed into the state budget by the Legislature's Joint Finance Committee. The Assembly plans to begin budget debate Tuesday with the Senate following as soon as Thursday.
Al LaBelle, legislative director of the Disabled American Veterans of Wisconsin, told the Wisconsin State Journal that "Balancing the budget on the backs of these severely injured heroes is shameful."
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire