BEAVER DAM, Wis. - For the third time in two weeks, thieves have stolen bronze flag holders from the graves of veterans in Dodge County.
The latest incident involves an unknown number of the flag holders that were taken from the St. Michael Cemetery in Beaver Dam.
The first reported case occurred during the Fourth of July holiday weekend, when approximately 50 bronze flag holders were stolen from the graves of veterans at Oakwood Cemetery in Beaver Dam.
One of the flag holders was taken from the grave of John Bula, a U.S. Army veteran who served in Operation Desert Storm.
"My heart sank below my feet," said Susan Gundeck, the sister of Bula. "It just breaks my heart. It is unbelievable."
Bula's grandfather, a veteran of World War II, also had his bronze flag holder stolen.
"I think it might be really hard for me to drive up there and not see that star there," Gundeck said.
Days after the flag holders were discovered missing at the Oakwood Cemetery, thieves stole approximately 30 more from the Stone Cemetery in the town of Burnett.
Investigators with the Dodge County Sheriff's Office have been looking into the thefts. Anyone with information about the thefts is asked to contact the Dodge County Sheriff's Office at 920-386-3726 or through their website.
- Woman accused of stabbing acquaintance turns herself in to police
- Victim tells police man who stabbed him frequently ‘mooches' from him
- Remains of 3 Ohio plane crash victims identified
- 29-year-old man dies from injuries suffered in Beloit fire
- Suspended UW-Madison student wants sex charges dismissed
- Medical center closes while DEA investigates