VERONA, Wis. - An assisted living facility in Verona has been cited for failing to provide adequate supervision of an elderly resident who wandered outside and died of hypothermia.
Wisconsin Department of Health Services inspectors found Four Winds Lodge failed to put an alarm bracelet on 93-year-old Edna Biederman, who had Alzheimer's disease.
The State Journal reported the facility was fined $845.
Four Winds administrator Lynn Howard told the state that the residential facility has installed door alarms and has purchased two-way radios and a wireless nurse call system to help prevent such incidents.
The Dane County medical examiner ruled Biederman's death in March was accidental.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes