EDGERTON, Wis. - The vehicle an Edgerton couple was driving on New Year's Day when they were killed in a car fire was under recall.
Amy Damon and Brandon Slattery were found dead in the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix early that morning.
The Dane County Medical Examiner ruled their deaths were accidental.
A Wisconsin Department of Justice report released to News 3 showed the car they were in was under a recall notice because of the potential for engine fires.
General Motors had identified situations in the summer of 2009 with the Grand Prix where drivers who braked hard could end up with leaked oil in the engine, leading to the car catching on fire.
The Justice Department officially listed the cause of the fire as undetermined.
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash injures 3
- Man arrested on suspicion of 4th OWI
- Former president George H.W. Bush hospitalized
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap