EDGERTON, Wis. - The vehicle an Edgerton couple was driving on New Year's Day when they were killed in a car fire was under recall.
Amy Damon and Brandon Slattery were found dead in the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix early that morning.
The Dane County Medical Examiner ruled their deaths were accidental.
A Wisconsin Department of Justice report released to News 3 showed the car they were in was under a recall notice because of the potential for engine fires.
General Motors had identified situations in the summer of 2009 with the Grand Prix where drivers who braked hard could end up with leaked oil in the engine, leading to the car catching on fire.
The Justice Department officially listed the cause of the fire as undetermined.
- Two people shot at while in a car on Madison's east side
- Dick's Sporting Goods windows smashed, teen arrested
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'