EDGERTON, Wis. - The vehicle an Edgerton couple was driving on New Year's Day when they were killed in a car fire was under recall.
Amy Damon and Brandon Slattery were found dead in the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix early that morning.
The Dane County Medical Examiner ruled their deaths were accidental.
A Wisconsin Department of Justice report released to News 3 showed the car they were in was under a recall notice because of the potential for engine fires.
General Motors had identified situations in the summer of 2009 with the Grand Prix where drivers who braked hard could end up with leaked oil in the engine, leading to the car catching on fire.
The Justice Department officially listed the cause of the fire as undetermined.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes