EDGERTON, Wis. - The vehicle an Edgerton couple was driving on New Year's Day when they were killed in a car fire was under recall.
Amy Damon and Brandon Slattery were found dead in the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix early that morning.
The Dane County Medical Examiner ruled their deaths were accidental.
A Wisconsin Department of Justice report released to News 3 showed the car they were in was under a recall notice because of the potential for engine fires.
General Motors had identified situations in the summer of 2009 with the Grand Prix where drivers who braked hard could end up with leaked oil in the engine, leading to the car catching on fire.
The Justice Department officially listed the cause of the fire as undetermined.
- Judge properly moved teen into adult system to protect him
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Hundreds of thousands of candies blanket Dodge County road, sheriff says
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer
- Walker sends letter in support of DeVos for education head
- Lack of sand for roads prompts Wisconsin Dells school closure, official says