Prosecutors in Milwaukee County are weighing possible charges against a University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee student following an apparent drug overdose death.
A medical examiner's report says police were called to the student's dorm room about 11 p.m. Monday. The 19-year-old freshman told authorities his friend was unresponsive. The report says 56-year-old Tom Stanczyk, of Watertown, was found sitting at a desk and was pronounced dead. It noted drug paraphernalia was found on the desk.
The medical examiner lists the cause of Stanczyk's death as accidental, but results of toxicology tests are not yet available. An autopsy found no trauma.
UWM spokesman Tom Luljak says police have probable cause to believe the student gave drugs to Stanczyk. WISN-TV reports investigators have turned the case over to the district attorney's office.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say