WHITEWATER, Wis. - An English professor at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater has created a composition class especially for military veterans and their families.
A Janesville Gazette report says students will read poetry, short stories and essays. They'll be encouraged -- but never pressured -- to share their own personal experiences.
Associate professor Erin Celello teaches Composition 102. She says she wants students to see the class as a place to connect with other veterans and military personnel. She says they'll be able to express their views in a way they might not be able to in a typical class.
Nicholas Doucette took one of Celello's previous classes. He's a former U.S. Marine who served eight months in Afghanistan. He says he was grateful for the "comforting environment" her class provided.
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets
- Wisconsin tribes clash in casino expansion fight
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks