WHITEWATER, Wis. - An English professor at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater has created a composition class especially for military veterans and their families.
A Janesville Gazette report says students will read poetry, short stories and essays. They'll be encouraged -- but never pressured -- to share their own personal experiences.
Associate professor Erin Celello teaches Composition 102. She says she wants students to see the class as a place to connect with other veterans and military personnel. She says they'll be able to express their views in a way they might not be able to in a typical class.
Nicholas Doucette took one of Celello's previous classes. He's a former U.S. Marine who served eight months in Afghanistan. He says he was grateful for the "comforting environment" her class provided.
- Mars investigating Skittles said to be intended for cattle
- Judge denies motions to dismiss 4 charges against Alec Cook
- Man sentenced in heroin overdose death
- Man charged in fatal shooting of sheriff's deputy
- PD: Man hit in head, robbed during believed stereo equipment sale
- Wisconsin farmers could be affected by late cabinet pick