TOWN OF MT. MORRIS PARK, Wis. - A UW-Madison student is dead after drowning in Mount Morris Lake Friday morning.
According to a post on the Waushara County Sheriff's Department Facebook page, 20-year-old Bruce H. Beckley of Milwaukee was found by divers after the department received a 911 call for a missing person.
According to the post, the report was of a missing swimmer in the lake. Deputies and fire departments were sent to the Town of Mt. Morris Park on County Road G.
Friends of Beckley said the had been swimming and could not find their friend. Deputies and firefighters searched the lake and surrounding frontage.
Around 2 a.m., fire department divers found Beckley underwater, but attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.
According to the post, Beckley and his friends had been staying in the area for the weekend. The group was swimming at the beach after posted hours. It is also believed alcohol consumption was a contributing factor in the incident.
Beckely was a third year student at UW-Madison. According to UW, he had yet to declare a major.
Students affected by the news are encouraged to seek counseling through University Health Services.
- Wisconsin faces construction worker shortage as home building projects increase
- Prosecutor says no water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Extra patrols added for spring party
- Shirtless female toddler on splash pad sparks debate
- Teacher confesses to sex with student in classroom
- Madison police find bullet in apartment on Russett Road