MADISON, Wis. - University of Wisconsin – Madison has been hailed as one of the friendliest university for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered students.
The Princeton Review ranked the campus seventh out of 20 other colleges that are LGBT friendly.
UW is the only Big Ten university and the only public university to make the list.
Members of the LGBT Campus Center said the ranking is due to efforts made by faculty, staff and students.
"They know that in terms of social justice the good work for the LGBT community also benefits other people," Director of the LGBT Campus Center and Assistant Dean of Students Gabe Javier said.
The ranking was based on a survey of 130,000 students at nearly 400 colleges. Stanford was ranked No. 1 on the list.
- Janesville family displaced after house fire
- Shooting on Madison's east side leave four injured, Koval concerned
- Wholesome Wave grant helps Madison residents access healthy food
- Firefighters investigating cause of McFarland fire
- Milwaukee police seek driver after fatal hit-and-run
- 2 confirmed dead after house fire in northeast Wisconsin