MADISON, Wis. - University of Wisconsin – Madison has been hailed as one of the friendliest university for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered students.
The Princeton Review ranked the campus seventh out of 20 other colleges that are LGBT friendly.
UW is the only Big Ten university and the only public university to make the list.
Members of the LGBT Campus Center said the ranking is due to efforts made by faculty, staff and students.
"They know that in terms of social justice the good work for the LGBT community also benefits other people," Director of the LGBT Campus Center and Assistant Dean of Students Gabe Javier said.
The ranking was based on a survey of 130,000 students at nearly 400 colleges. Stanford was ranked No. 1 on the list.
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement