LA CROSSE, Wis. - A UW-La Crosse student is in the intensive care unit at a local hospital after falling from the roof of a building near campus.
Witnesses said the 22-year-old had been drinking with friends at a nearby bar on Saturday. While walking home in an alley behind 1804 State Street in La Crosse he said, "I can get up there. I'll show you how I get up there" and then climbed to the top of the building, according to the La Crosse police report.
The man began to run around and witnesses told police they thought the victim didn't realize there was a gap between the two buildings and fell, hitting his head. When medical personnel arrived, they found him unconscious but breathing. He was taken to Mayo Clinic Health System Franciscan Healthcare in La Crosse.
The student's name has not been released at this time.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land