LA CROSSE, Wis. - A UW-La Crosse student is in the intensive care unit at a local hospital after falling from the roof of a building near campus.
Witnesses said the 22-year-old had been drinking with friends at a nearby bar on Saturday. While walking home in an alley behind 1804 State Street in La Crosse he said, "I can get up there. I'll show you how I get up there" and then climbed to the top of the building, according to the La Crosse police report.
The man began to run around and witnesses told police they thought the victim didn't realize there was a gap between the two buildings and fell, hitting his head. When medical personnel arrived, they found him unconscious but breathing. He was taken to Mayo Clinic Health System Franciscan Healthcare in La Crosse.
The student's name has not been released at this time.
- Witness: Man points gun at kids playing basketball
- License plate left behind at hit-and-run scene IDs driver, police say
- State Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- State dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Madison man claims $50,000 lottery prize
- Consumer Reports: How to ease stress of moving