MADISON, Wis. - Cell phone technology helped find a Belleville man who went missing Friday.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office asked for the public's assistance Saturday afternoon in locating Quinn Quirk, 84, who police said was last seen Friday morning but did not return home.
Authorities said Quirk called his wife at around 12:30 p.m. Saturday, saying he was lost.
Detectives contacted the cellular telephone provider and it traced the call. The call came from a cellular telephone tower in the area of Peosta, Iowa. That's located about 15 miles west of Dubuque.
Detectives called gas stations in that area and an employee reported seeing Quirk recently.
Dane County authorities contacted the Iowa State Patrol and Dubuque County Sheriff's Office.
A short time later, Quirk was located at a gas station by state troopers and deputies.
Dane County detectives are traveling to Iowa to get Quirk and return him to his residence.
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn