MADISON, Wis. - Cell phone technology helped find a Belleville man who went missing Friday.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office asked for the public's assistance Saturday afternoon in locating Quinn Quirk, 84, who police said was last seen Friday morning but did not return home.
Authorities said Quirk called his wife at around 12:30 p.m. Saturday, saying he was lost.
Detectives contacted the cellular telephone provider and it traced the call. The call came from a cellular telephone tower in the area of Peosta, Iowa. That's located about 15 miles west of Dubuque.
Detectives called gas stations in that area and an employee reported seeing Quirk recently.
Dane County authorities contacted the Iowa State Patrol and Dubuque County Sheriff's Office.
A short time later, Quirk was located at a gas station by state troopers and deputies.
Dane County detectives are traveling to Iowa to get Quirk and return him to his residence.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land