MADISON, Wis. - Cell phone technology helped find a Belleville man who went missing Friday.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office asked for the public's assistance Saturday afternoon in locating Quinn Quirk, 84, who police said was last seen Friday morning but did not return home.
Authorities said Quirk called his wife at around 12:30 p.m. Saturday, saying he was lost.
Detectives contacted the cellular telephone provider and it traced the call. The call came from a cellular telephone tower in the area of Peosta, Iowa. That's located about 15 miles west of Dubuque.
Detectives called gas stations in that area and an employee reported seeing Quirk recently.
Dane County authorities contacted the Iowa State Patrol and Dubuque County Sheriff's Office.
A short time later, Quirk was located at a gas station by state troopers and deputies.
Dane County detectives are traveling to Iowa to get Quirk and return him to his residence.
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan