MADISON, Wis. - A fire in a south Madison apartment building Friday night was caused by unattended burning candles, officials said.
The Madison Fire Department said crews responded to an eight-unit apartment building on the 300 block of Kent Lane for a report of a smoke alarm at 10:20 p.m.
Crews entered a first-floor apartment and saw light smoke but felt no heat, according to the report. When they entered a bedroom at the rear of the unit, crews felt heat, and saw flames and heavy smoke. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within minutes.
As a crew was investigating, the apartment occupant returned home. She told firefighters she had left candles burning in the bedroom. Evidence at the scene supported her account and the fire is believed to be unintentional, according to the report.
Damage is estimated at $15,000, the fire department said. No one was injured.
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets