FRIENDSHIP, Wis. - Two Adams County Sheriff's deputies are back on duty after an investigation into a fatal shooting Sept. 5, according to the sheriff's office.
Investigators said Deputies Todd Johnson and Jonathan Lewicki were on the scene when 41-year-old Douglas G. Natzke was shot and killed at his home at 1195 S. Czech Court in Preston.
The sheriff's office said Deputy Jeremiah Ballew, 27, who was involved in the shooting, is on light administrative duty while the Wisconsin Department of Justice completes an investigation. He's worked for the Adam's County Sheriff's Office for four years.
Authorities said deputies responded to a report of gunfire when the deputies confronted an armed man outside his home at about 3:30 a.m.
"Upon approaching the address, they made contact with the male subject and unfortunately it resulted in deputies firing at the subject and him subsequently dying from his injuries," said Sheriff Sam Wollin.
Wollin declined to answer why Natzke was shot.
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- State schools superintendent field to be narrowed
- Shell casings found after gunshots heard in Fitchburg
- Madison police investigate attempted homicide
- Hotel Week attracts visitors and locals
- City clerk expects higher voter turnout for spring primary election than recent years