FRIENDSHIP, Wis. - Two Adams County Sheriff's deputies are back on duty after an investigation into a fatal shooting Sept. 5, according to the sheriff's office.
Investigators said Deputies Todd Johnson and Jonathan Lewicki were on the scene when 41-year-old Douglas G. Natzke was shot and killed at his home at 1195 S. Czech Court in Preston.
The sheriff's office said Deputy Jeremiah Ballew, 27, who was involved in the shooting, is on light administrative duty while the Wisconsin Department of Justice completes an investigation. He's worked for the Adam's County Sheriff's Office for four years.
Authorities said deputies responded to a report of gunfire when the deputies confronted an armed man outside his home at about 3:30 a.m.
"Upon approaching the address, they made contact with the male subject and unfortunately it resulted in deputies firing at the subject and him subsequently dying from his injuries," said Sheriff Sam Wollin.
Wollin declined to answer why Natzke was shot.
- Victim of stabbing at Sun Prairie theater said he didn't know attacker
- Slain Wis. officer ID'd as 15-year veteran
- University Avenue among busy roads to be reconstructed
- Gov. Walker extends condolences to shooting victims
- Driver in fatal limo crash sentenced to probation
- Madison police seek accused bank robber