SMELSER TOWNSHIP - Emergency crews responding to a shed fire also found themselves at the scene of a traffic crash Thursday.
The Grant County Sheriff's Office said crews were fighting a fire at 3657 Highway 80 in Smelser Township when at 5:05 p.m. a car rear-ended another car that had been stopped by firefighters controlling traffic at the fire scene.
The car driven by Michael Connolly, 44, of Platteville was traveling north when it struck a car driven by Nieley Daily, 26, of Platteville. Daily's car careened across the oncoming lanes and went into the ditch, according to deputies.
A firefighter dove into a ditch to avoid getting struck, according to investigators.
Highway 80 was closed to traffic for about an hour.
Connolly, Daily and Daily's 6-year-old daughter were transported to Southwest Health Center in Platteville for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.
Connolly was cited on suspicion of inattentive driving. Daily was cited on suspicion of not having insurance on her car.
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- 3 adults, 1 child fall through ice on Sauk County lake
- Woman's purse taken while downtown; man arrested
- Woman suffers broken nose from fruit thrown from balcony
- Glass packaging flaw prompts beer recall