SMELSER TOWNSHIP - Emergency crews responding to a shed fire also found themselves at the scene of a traffic crash Thursday.
The Grant County Sheriff's Office said crews were fighting a fire at 3657 Highway 80 in Smelser Township when at 5:05 p.m. a car rear-ended another car that had been stopped by firefighters controlling traffic at the fire scene.
The car driven by Michael Connolly, 44, of Platteville was traveling north when it struck a car driven by Nieley Daily, 26, of Platteville. Daily's car careened across the oncoming lanes and went into the ditch, according to deputies.
A firefighter dove into a ditch to avoid getting struck, according to investigators.
Highway 80 was closed to traffic for about an hour.
Connolly, Daily and Daily's 6-year-old daughter were transported to Southwest Health Center in Platteville for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.
Connolly was cited on suspicion of inattentive driving. Daily was cited on suspicion of not having insurance on her car.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes