MADISON, Wis. - Trader Joe's is recalling its house brand of peanut butter over fears of possible salmonella contamination.
The voluntary recall of Trader Joe's Creamy Salted Valencia Peanut Butter was announced Friday on the Monrovia-based company's website. No specific lot numbers are available.
Officials with the specialty grocery chain said they were acting "out of an abundance of caution," stressing that there are no confirmed reports of contamination.
Trader Joe's is offering refunds.
Salmonella can cause diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts four to seven days, and most people recover without treatment.
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River
- 4 juveniles suspected of damaging maliboxes in rural Portage, Pardeeville areas
- 2 on moped injured in downtown Madison crash, officials say
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Ag secretary to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers