A new study released by the city of Madison shows the intersection with the most crashes in Madison is a roundabout.
The city of Madison Traffic Engineering department released their annual crash report Friday.
In fact, three of the top five intersections in Madison with the most accidents are roundabouts, and all have been built within the past two years.
The report shows the intersection of Lien Road and North Thompson Drive on the city's East Side had the most accidents last year with 23. Two West Side intersections also made the top five. The intersection of County Highway M and Valley View Road was No. 3 with 18 accidents, while the intersection of Mineral Point Road and North Pleasant View Road was No. 5 with 15 accidents.
None of these intersections were in the top 25 in 2010.
Officials at the traffic engineering department said many of the previous leaders in the crash summary have dropped off because of recent road improvements.
East side drivers have some of the biggest risks in getting into an accident. The two intersections with the highest amount of crashes were near East Towne Mall. Besides the roundabout at Lien and Thompson, the intersection with the second highest amount of crashes was at the corner of Portage Road and Thierer Road.
The two stretches of road that had the highest amount of accidents that weren't connected to an intersection were on the east side as well. They were the 3700 block and 3800 block of East Washington Avenue near Stoughton Road.
The third-most dangerous stretch of highway was on the north side in the 1600 block of Northport Drive.
You can see the full crash report2011 Madison Crash Report
- Judge properly moved teen into adult system to protect him
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Hundreds of thousands of candies blanket Dodge County road, sheriff says
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer
- Walker sends letter in support of DeVos for education head
- Lack of sand for roads prompts Wisconsin Dells school closure, official says