WAUSAU, Wis. - First responders have rescued a teenage girl from the river in Wausau.
Fire officials said the girl was swimming with friends near Fern Island Sunday night when a strong current pulled her downstream. She apparently was trying to reach a sandbar about 15 feet from the island.
Firefighters threw a rope to the girl as she clung to the pylons underneath the Thomas Street bridge and pulled her to safety. Daily Herald Media reported that she was transported to a local hospital.
- East side Walgreens robbed at gunpoint Sunday
- New emergency equipment aids obese patients in Wisconsin
- Facebook CEO Zuckerberg visits Madison Sunday
- Wisconsin, U.S. used flawed hair evidence to convict innocent people
- Shredfest helps protect more than 1,100 people's identities
- 'Life goes on': Production ends at Oscar Mayer plant