WAUSAU, Wis. - First responders have rescued a teenage girl from the river in Wausau.
Fire officials said the girl was swimming with friends near Fern Island Sunday night when a strong current pulled her downstream. She apparently was trying to reach a sandbar about 15 feet from the island.
Firefighters threw a rope to the girl as she clung to the pylons underneath the Thomas Street bridge and pulled her to safety. Daily Herald Media reported that she was transported to a local hospital.
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees