MILWAUKEE - A judge has sentenced an 18-year-old man to 30 years in jail for a New Year's Day crash that killed a New Berlin couple last year.
Kelly Duke was 17 when authorities say he sped into an intersection with a stolen car and lost control, slamming into a waiting vehicle. Occupants Edwin and Jean Thaves were declared dead at the scene.
Tests later showed Duke had a blood-alcohol level of 0.183 percent, more than twice the legal limit for driving.
His lawyer says Duke has no memory of the crash.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (http://bit.ly/VQBiAB) reports the victims' family sought the maximum sentence, 45 years, while Duke's attorney suggested 15.
- Renewable energy conference focuses on working with agriculture
- Adams County officials hope public can ID burglars in surveillance video
- UWM instructor hopes students can push for change
- Fire crews ventilate parking garage fire in unique way
- UW-Madison athletics employee fired
- Mom, daughter face charges when 16 horses found with moldy hay, no water