MADISON, Wis. - The success of University of Wisconsin athletics is driving record sales of UW merchandise, according to Cindy Van Matre, UW trademark and licensing director.
Gross royalties from UW licensed merchandise reached $3.75 million in 2012-13, which surpasses the previous high of $3.33 million set in 2011-12, according to UW officials.
The new record is a 12.8 percent increase from the previous record.
Half the proceeds from licensed UW merchandise sales go to Bucky Grants, a program that provides need-based financial aid to undergrads.
In the 2012-13 academic year, more than $1.82 million was distributed among 2,353 students. The average award was $775, according to UW officials.
UW ranked 15th among the Collegiate Licensing Corporation's 160 colleges and universities, and fourth among CLC's Big Ten clients.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire