HATLEY, Wis. - Two people were able to escape unhurt when their sport utility vehicle went through the ice on Pike Lake in Hatley.
Crews were sent to the Pike Lake Resort about 1:30 p.m. Thursday after someone saw the Chevrolet Suburban break through the ice and was unsure if anyone was inside.
Investigators discovered the two people inside the SUV were able to escape the sinking vehicle and make it back to shore.
A Department of Natural Resources warden told WSAW-TV the ice was only about 6 inches thick where the vehicle went through. The lake is estimated to be 30 feet deep at that spot.
The SUV is now at the bottom of the lake and the owners will have 30 days to have it removed.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says