HATLEY, Wis. - Two people were able to escape unhurt when their sport utility vehicle went through the ice on Pike Lake in Hatley.
Crews were sent to the Pike Lake Resort about 1:30 p.m. Thursday after someone saw the Chevrolet Suburban break through the ice and was unsure if anyone was inside.
Investigators discovered the two people inside the SUV were able to escape the sinking vehicle and make it back to shore.
A Department of Natural Resources warden told WSAW-TV the ice was only about 6 inches thick where the vehicle went through. The lake is estimated to be 30 feet deep at that spot.
The SUV is now at the bottom of the lake and the owners will have 30 days to have it removed.
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike
- Robbery suspect arrested after stealing purse containing $1
- Mars investigating Skittles said to be intended for cattle