A man who killed his Sun Prairie neighbor with a sword won't be getting out of a mental health institution.
Zachary Schams and his lawyer petitioned for his release from Mendota Mental Health Institution. Schams was given a lifetime commitment to Mendota after he was found not guilty by reason of mental illness in the 2009 death of 31-year-old Anthony Edlbeck.
The victim's family attended a hearing Monday in Dane County Circuit Court. Edlbeck's father, Dale, told the judge they were fearful Schams could commit other violent acts if he's released.
The State Journal reported Schams' public defender, Dennis Burke, conceded there wasn't enough evidence to support the release petition.
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- 3 adults, 1 child fall through ice on Sauk County lake
- Woman's purse taken while downtown; man arrested
- Woman suffers broken nose from fruit thrown from balcony
- Glass packaging flaw prompts beer recall