SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. - A new Sun Prairie mayor was appointed at Tuesday night's city council meeting.
Jonathan Freund was appointed and sworn in Tuesday night after former Mayor John Murray turned in his notice last month. Freund will serve until next April.
Freund has served on the Sun Prairie City Council for eight years, according to a release.
"I appreciate the trust my fellow council members have in appointing me to complete the existing term as mayor," Freund said. "We will continue to build on the successes this council has had in recent years promoting Sun Prairie as an attractive location for new and expanded businesses, as well as a great place to live and raise a family."
Freund said Murray set a high bar for community involvement, fiscal responsibility and economic development, and he hopes to build on Murray's successes to move the city forward.
"One of my first priorities as mayor is to reach out to the local business community to ensure these businesses stay and grow in Sun Prairie and ensure we are doing all that we can to encourage additional businesses to choose Sun Prairie as their home," Freund said.
Freund also said the city needs to focus on strengthening its partnership with the school district, maintaining and focusing city government on the efficient delivery of core services, continuing a focus on public safety and developing a plan with the Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department to provide 24/7 services.
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement
- Uncertainty creates challenges for growth in manufacturing
- Inmates sue over conditions at Wisconsin youth prison
- Crews put out, monitor insulation fire at construction site, officials say
- Janesville man killed in crash on I-90 near South Beloit